Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Fence patrol at Woody Cape Section

I got up early today and was at the office way before anyone else. Hot water at the office toilet meant that I could take a hot shower in the morning before work began and this was something I really looked forward to.  The plan today was to do a fence patrol and I had heard that the views would be stunning. Meeting the section ranger of Woody Cape section for a chat, I learnt that he was planning my few days such that I could make as many trips as possible to the sand dunes. The office had several boards explaining about the flora and fauna found around the park and these kept me busy while everyone gathered. The ride down to the drop off point was scenic by itself and stunning, greenery around and by the sides punctuated with a blue wispy sky which looked like part of a painting. I had definitely made the right choice deciding to spend my last week immersed in the silence that Woody Cape offered.


As we carried on, the rangers pointed out various antelope gazing in herds, scattering as they heard the sound of the approaching vehicle. We would be covering a section of the fence which separated the area from the sand dunes and the starting point emerged soon enough. My companion for the day was an older ranger, friendly and with a gentle smile on him most of the time. As the day went on, we covered much ground, stopping by to take a short break at times.
My companion for the day
My guide seemed to pick the best places to stop, almost always in full view of the dunes of Alexandria. Sometimes he would show me things along the way and explain before carrying on. Though most part of the fencing was good, some parts at the bottom were damaged where animals had dug a hole to get over to the other side and these were deftly patched up with thorny plants and sticks before moving on. As the day went on, the heat of the day rose steadily and the distance covered one step at a time. The trail eventually led us back into the bush and into some shade. I had some hide and seek fun here with a deer that seemed to run just ahead and always wait for me to catch up before bounding off again. This continued for a good 45 minutes before it disappeared.

 My companion told me that the pick up point was ahead and that we were to wait for the vehicle. The entire walk had been somewhat surreal for me, really peaceful with the ocean breeze always caressing us even during the hot midday sun. Both of us had a short nap on a plain overlooking the ocean as we waited for the pick up vehicle and I took a walk of my own, savoring the scene with some cattle moving about below. A quick nap and the ranger decided to walk down the path where the vehicle would arrive. This path was covered with much grasshoppers and I couldn't help snapping pictures of these brilliantly colored insects. Most of them were in pairs and hopping all over.

Delicious home-made dinner 
I had learnt earlier that day that the section ranger had invited the students over for dinner and he had graciously invited me as well. Returning back to the office, I decided to take a quick bath at the Langebos and head back to his place for dinner.

Meeting up with Eleen and Yentl at Guy's place, the home made dinner was an awesome affair with much chatting and interactions after a tiring and fulfilling day. It was time to head back to the Langebos after an hour or so and I had a fitful night's rest, tired after the day's walking.

It would be another tiring day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment