Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Taking the Red Bus around Cape Town

The way back to Capetown backpackers
Woke up rather early today thanks to still not having adapted to the new timing. I was up at 6.30 am and took a warm shower before making my way up to the breakfast room. The lady making breakfast would only arrive at 7.30 am and I had a chat with another dorm mate who recommended me to take the red bus around town. I had another chance to appreciate the house I was in before heading out. The kitchen was pretty nice and had a back exit as well. Only one way.

My general plan was to hike up table mountain and rather then take a cab down, the red bus seemed a much better option. Breakfast was 2 pieces of toast with 2 sunny side eggs and a cup of coffee for 30 Rand. Had a chat with Leah and I learnt that the nearest red bus stop was at the planetarium, just a short walk down. The first bus would arrive around 9 plus and the timing was just nice. Browsing around the list of pamplets showing various activities that could be done, I came across Stoked School of Surf. Always wanted to try surfing and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. After paying a deposit of 75 rand, I set off for the planetarium. The way seemed relatively easy to follow and I had no issues as such, finding the stop in about 10-15 minutes. The Red Bus stops are very prominently displayed including the stop number.

The red bus is basically a hop on hop off service, starting as early as 9 am and ending around 5 plus in the evening. For a flat fee of 150 rand, passengers can get off at any stop and walk around for as long as needed before returning to any red bus stops. The buses run at intervals of 15 minutes so a short wait and the next bus arrives.

When entering any bus, the friendly staff also provide a pair of earphones ( red as well !) to be plugged into any of the numerous earphone jacks in the bus. These allow passengers to listen to an audio commentary as the bus moves. The explanations were not only detailed but uncannily timed such that it was rather easy to follow it with regards to the buildings on the ground.
Spiked door to the castle of Good Hope
The bus also has a semi open deck concept so it was possible to enjoy the open view on a dry day. It was simply the perfect way to learn so much more about Cape Town and its history, particularly on district 6 and the various museums. The first stop I got down at was the Castle of Good Hope and the red bus staff was very accommodating and friendly when i asked to be let down. It was rather unfortunate that it started drizzling once I alighted and I had to rush into the castle for shelter. The castle is more of a fortress and the oldest building colonial building in Cape Town.

It was interesting to see an arms display as well as the display they had on ancient warfare and attire. Another thing that piqued my interest was a room of confinement. For a certain amount one could experience being confined in a room. Certain parts of the exhibitions are still a work in progress but nicely done up otherwise.

The rain picked up in a bit so I left and walked around the shopping centers opposite. Stopped by for a coffee before heading back to a red bus stop. Decided to visit the coastal sides of Cape town and got off at the station, enjoying the beach as well as the wind. The bus had earlier on stopped at table mountain but I did not trek up the mountain, choosing rather to just get down awhile and stretch before boarding the bus again. It was a rainy day and hence misty. Not the best time to trek. The coastal walk was really good and I got to experience the beauty of Cape town's location. Walked past a few sea front apartments and got myself some fries only to be harassed by sea gulls most of the way. The day was mostly cold and misty and watching the waves crash on rocks shaped over many years of erosion was a relief. Despite the rainy day, there were many people sitting or running along the coast.

My next destination was to the Two oceans aquarium which was also the 1st stop of the red bus. Tickets can be bought here ( Or at any other stop you get on) There is also a blue bus besides the red one which covers another route, coinciding with the red bus on some parts of the journey. Having a red bus ticket allows you a discount on certain places and the two oceans aquarium is one.


 The Two oceans aquarium has a number of really nice exhibits and the one featuring this really fat eel was one I enjoyed. They also have stations where it is possible to touch anemones and even view smaller sea organisms under a powerful microscope. The staff at such exhibits were older and very happy to explain when questions were asked. It was rather amazing that an empty looking dish could contain so much life and movement when looked closer at.

2 other tanks I really enjoyed were the shark tank, which featured  a number of really big sharks cruising around in a circular tank as well as the kelp forest exhibit which even simulates the level of the water rising and dropping in the tank. Definitely beautiful to watch the huge fishes moving about. Visiting this place was an exciting experience for me as I've always loved the ocean. Just outside the two oceans aquarium are numerous shops and restaurants. Once I left, I spent awhile waiting for the red bus and then it was back to stop 6, outside the planetarium, to take a walk back to Cape town backpackers
.

The planetarium was closed by the time I returned and I had to forego that.  Dinner was at a  restaurant close to the backpackers with two dorm mates and I had my first long island tea after a long day of hopping on and off the red bus. It had been a pretty good day besides the sudden bouts of rain and taking the red bus was definitely worth it. For a 150 rand, I now had a much better idea of the history as well as places in Cape Town.

A hot shower and I was all ready to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment