Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fence Patrolling at Woody Cape Section

The day started early today and I was excited. Meeting the rangers in the morning, I learnt that we were going fence patrolling. I was to trek around the fencing separating the park from the Dunes of Alexandria and the views were supposed to be really beautiful.

Having a chat with the section ranger Guy,  I learnt that he was trying to let me experience the beauty of the area within the one week I had and this was definitely kind of him. The drop off vehicle started off and the ride to the start point traversed through plains with many animals moving around in their herds. The path down was stunning, greenery around and by the sides punctuated with a blue wispy sky which looked like part of a painting. I had definitely made the right choice deciding to spend my last week immersed in the silence that Woody Cape offered.
The ride down continued till I caught sight of the magnificent dunes that had held me spell-bound the first time round. I was to walk with one ranger and he was an elderly man and rather thoughtful with a certain quietness around him.

My companion for the day
Walking in silence amid such natural settings was tranquil and my companion would occasionally stop for a short rest before carrying on. Each stop we had was at a point where the scenery would be simply stunning and I relished such breaks. The air seemed to have a certain lightness to it as we covered the kilometers one step at a time. Lunch was along the way and this time round I had remembered to pack something. The patrol was to take almost an entire day and occasionally my companion would point out something to me and tell me about it. The patrol carried on till we hit the forest and carried on through the bush. As time went by, the views of the dunes would occasionally fade to re-emerge again further up. The ranger often told me where the best shots could be taken and even tried taking a picture for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment